Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Story of Moses...



Moses was a very special friend. He came to me in a peculiar way. In the fall of 2006, the doctor I was working for at the time had gone for a pedicure at lunch. When she arrived at her destination, she was going in and this tiny kitten was trying to go in to the spa with her. He must have been thirsty or hungry. The owner didn't want a cat in her office so the kitten go shooed away. As the doctor was finished and leaving, she noticed the kitten still hanging around. Knowing her husband wouldn't allow her to take in another animal, as she had many already, she quickly turned to go to her car. The kitten followed. The doctor hurried to get in her car and shut the door. She turned around to put her purse down on the passenger seat, and what did she find? The kitten snuck his way in and was sitting on the passenger seat looking at her as if saying "Where are we going, nice lady?" The doctor couldn't resist her stow-away so she drove to the office where she worked. This is where I come into the picture. When the doctor came back from lunch, she was calling out "Girls! Girls! come look!" We all ran to see what the racket was all about. Low and behold the doctor was holding this beautiful Orange and White Tabby with the most amazing green eyes. Playful, friendly and just eating up the attention! He was a boy. She asked who all could take him because she couldn't take him home. I quickly got on the phone with my husband and begged for a kitten. He already had a kitty when we got married, I didn't have one and always wanted an indoor kitty. Growing up I was only allowed fish in a tank in the house and outdoor pets, never indoor pets that didn't swim. Sure enough my dear husband said "Okay but you take care of him, not me!" So I called him Moses. Because he was found by a nice person who took him in and found him a good home. All he needed was to be in a basket. The doctor helped me have Moses's shots done, fixed and microchipped and I got to take him home in the next couple days. Moses scared our kitty we had already. Her name is Alezis. Tortoiseshell Calico. She is a small kitty but Moses was smaller and he flat made her mad. She is a jealous cat. She eventually got used to him, he grew, he chased her around all over the house. He even dragged her out of the kitty litter box once (that we know of). Just because. He didn't even have to use it.
Moses brought us bundles of joy, laughter and in the end tears of loss. I lost Moses on March 7, 2010 at the age of 3 1/2. He had a bladder dysfunction requiring a very expensive surgery which we could not afford. If the surgery was not performed he would have experienced a painful death and heart attack within the next night and I couldn't bear that. He went to sleep in my arms, I was the last thing he was looking at. This was and still is a sensitive part of my life.

Here we are 4 months later...and just yesterday I was going to the grocery store and saw this young family who had 3 kittens they were giving away. One was a beautiful Orange and White Tabby. He had markings almost identical to Moses. I asked what his name was, they said "Sparky" because he had put his paw in an outlet and had gotten electricuted. Wow! That sounds like the personality of my Moses as well! He was always into things. Always stealing small things like pens, highlighters, toothpicks, straws....He had a collection of all our missing items and his toys under the couch. It was like a GI Joe prisoner of war camp! I wanted so bad to take the kitten home but not a single beautiful similar kitty would replace the memories and joys I had with Moses. It's not the same. Plus my husband wouldn't have let me keep him. We have a Siberian Husky, a Yellow Lab and of course the old and cranky Alexis.

In the PHOTO above, That is Moses around age 1. I came home from work oneday and couldn't find him ANYWHERE!!!! Finally I was standing in the kitchen crying and I saw some movement out of the corner of my eye, I looked towards that direction and found Moses sitting in the cupboard between the crackers and napkins or something. I had to take a picture. It's so cute. Taco Shells, Moses, pasta, crackers.....All part of a good pantry stock! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment